- Geranium in Copenhagen is named The World’s Best Restaurant 2022, sponsored by Pellegrino & Acqua Panna
- Announced this evening at an awards ceremony in London, the 2022 list includes restaurants from 24 territories in five continents worldwide and introduces 12 restaurants making their debut, along with two returning as re-entries
- South America recognised as a culinary powerhouse, with eight restaurants on the list
- Lima’s Central is named The Best Restaurant in South America at 2
- Pujol in Mexico City is named The Best Restaurant in North America at 5
- South America’s highest new entry at 32 is Mayta, Lima, with Rio de Janeiro’s Oteque also a new entry at No.47
- Jorge Vallejo of Quintonil in Mexico City is voted to win the prestigious Estrella Damm Chefs’ Choice Award by his peers
- Leonor Espinosa of Leo, Bogotá, accepted The World’s Best Female Chef Award, sponsored by Nude Glass, on stage in London
London (RestaurantNews.com) The crème de la crème of the world’s restaurant community gathered in London this evening to celebrate The World’s 50 Best Restaurants awards 2022, sponsored by S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna. The awards ceremony, hosted by internationally renowned actor and gourmet Stanley Tucci, honoured gastronomic excellence from 24 territories across five continents before naming Copenhagen’s Geranium as The World’s Best Restaurant 2022 and The Best Restaurant in Europe 2022.
For the full 1-50 list, please see the bottom of this release.
Taking over the No.1 position from Noma – which has been elevated to the Best of the Best hall of fame – Geranium, led by chef Rasmus Kofoed, was voted the No.2 restaurant in The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2021 list. Geranium’s mission is to create food that awakens the senses, and Chef
Kofoed’s meticulous cooking and incredible vision, including his recent decision to go meatless, have won accolades and fans worldwide. Geranium is joined in the top three by Central (No.2) in Lima and Disfrutar (No.3) in Barcelona.
William Drew, Director of Content for The World’s 50 Best Restaurants, comments: “We are delighted to announce the list of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2022 and to celebrate Geranium as the new No.1. Rasmus Kofoed, Søren Ledet and their team have created an unforgettable dining experience, taking seasonal cooking to superlative heights and delivering precise, beautiful and elegant food that combines art and flavour alongside a ground-breaking drinks programme.
Geranium has cemented its status as a global culinary destination and a much-deserved winner of the coveted title, The World’s Best Restaurant 2022, sponsored by S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna. It is also very exciting to recognise this diverse list of restaurants spread across five continents and to see this vibrant culinary community coming together to celebrate in London.”
South America continues to make culinary waves, as Central in Lima is named No.2 in the list and The Best Restaurant in South America, with the continent boasting eight restaurants overall including new entry Mayta (No.32) in Lima and Oteque (No.47) in Rio de Janeiro. Asia follows with seven restaurants in the list, including new entries Sorn in Bangkok (No.39) and La Cime, Osaka (No.41). The Best Restaurant in Asia is Den in Tokyo (No.20), while list debutant Fyn in Cape Town (No.37) is crowned The Best Restaurant in Africa. Pujol (No.5) in Mexico City takes The Best Restaurant in North America spot for the third time.
The Gin Mare Art of Hospitality Award is presented to Atomix, a 14-seat tasting menu restaurant set around a single U-shaped counter in New York, run by husband and wife team Junghyun ‘JP’ and Ellia Park. With JP leading the kitchen and Ellia the front of house, the duo deliver a standout culinary experience, offering ground-breaking Korean cuisine and impeccable service to international visitors and New Yorkers alike.
René Frank of Coda, Berlin, is the recipient of The World’s Best Pastry Chef Award, sponsored by Sosa. The renowned pastry chef leads Germany’s first and only specialist high-end dessert restaurant. Frank’s innovative and memorable creations, with a basis in traditional techniques, have attracted an ever-growing fanbase as well as help build the chef’s reputation internationally.
Introduced as a new award for 2022, the Beronia World’s Best Sommelier title is awarded to Josep Roca, sommelier and co-owner of El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain. Roca is a world-renowned sommelier, whose talent exemplifies excellence within wine and food and whose passion is captivating. El Celler de Can Roca, which Josep runs with his brothers Joan and Jordi, now sits in the Best of the Best hall of fame having won The World’s Best Restaurant title in both 2013 and 2015.
Uliassi (No.12) in Senigallia, Italy is the winner of the Highest New Entry Award, sponsored by Aspire Lifestyles, in recognition of the restaurant’s contemporary cuisine inspired by the traditions of the Adriatic Coast.
Further new entries include: Alchemist (No.18) and Jordnær (No.38), both in Copenhagen; The Jane (No.23) in Antwerp; Le Clarence (No.28) in Paris; St Hubertus (No.29) in San Cassiano, Italy; and Ikoyi (No.49) in London.
Nobelhart & Schmutzig (No.17) is awarded the Villa Massa Highest Climber Award, after the Berlin restaurant climbed 28 places since the publication of the 2021 list. Proud of its “vocally local” philosophy, Nobelhart & Schmutzig sets its focus firmly on its producers, resulting in high demand for its 10-course signature menu.
Jorge Vallejo, chef-owner of Quintonil (No.9) in Mexico City wins the Estrella Damm Chefs’ Choice Award. Voted on by his peers – the world’s leading chefs – it is awarded to a chef who has had a significant influence on the culinary community.
Aponiente in the south-west of Spain takes home the Flor de Caña Sustainable Restaurant Award. This award is independently audited by the Sustainable Restaurant Association, which rates establishments that self-nominate for the award based on a wide range of criteria, including environmental and social responsibility.
The evening also celebrated those honoured with pre-announced special awards. These included the Champions of Change winners: Dieuveil Malonga, Koh Seng Choon and duo Olia Hercules and Alissa Timoshkina; Leonor Espinosa, winner of The World’s Best Female Chef Award, sponsored by Nude Glass; social entrepreneur Wawira Njiru, winner of the Icon Award; and Marseille restaurant AM par Alexandre Mazzia, winner of the American Express One To Watch Award.
The World’s 50 Best Restaurants awards 2022, sponsored by S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna, held at the historic Old Billingsgate market in the City of London, marked the 20th year of the prestigious global gastronomic ranking.
The Voting Process
The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2022 list is voted for by 1,080 international restaurant industry experts and well-travelled gourmets who make up The World’s 50 Best Restaurants Academy. The gender-balanced Academy comprises 27 separate regions around the world, each of which has 40 members including a chairperson. No sponsor from the event has any influence over the voting process. The World’s 50 Best Restaurants list is independently adjudicated by professional services consultancy Deloitte. This adjudication ensures that the integrity and authenticity of the voting process and the resulting list of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2022 is protected.
Best of the Best
Those in the elite group of No.1 ranked restaurants (listed below) have more than proved their worth and will now be forever honoured as iconic dining destinations in the Best of the Best hall of fame. The chefs and restaurateurs who have led their restaurants to the pinnacle of the list have expressed their desire to invest in the future of the sector and ‘give back’ to the food world through new projects and initiatives. The following restaurants have been named No.1 in The World’s 50 Best Restaurants since the list’s inception and were therefore not eligible for voting in 2022 and beyond:
- El Bulli (2002, 2006-2009)
- The French Laundry (2003-2004)
- The Fat Duck (2005)
- Noma – original location (2010-2012, 2014)
- El Celler de Can Roca (2013, 2015)
- Osteria Francescana (2016, 2018)
- Eleven Madison Park (2017)
- Mirazur (2019)
- Noma – current location (2021)
- Geranium, Copenhagen
- Central, Lima
- Disfrutar, Barcelona
- Diverxo, Madrid
- Pujol, Mexico City
- Asador Etxebarri, Atxondo
- A Casa do Porco, São Paulo
- Lido 84, Gardone Riviera
- Quintonil, Mexico City
- Le Calandre, Rubano
- Maido, Lima
- Uliassi, Senigallia
- Steirereck, Vienna
- Don Julio, Buenos Aires
- Reale, Castel di Sangro
- Elkano, Getaria
- Nobelhart & Schmutzig, Berlin
- Alchemist, Copenhagen
- Piazza Duomo, Alba
- Den, Tokyo
- Mugaritz, San Sebastian
- Septime, Paris
- The Jane, Antwerp
- The Chairman, Hong Kong
- Frantzén, Stockholm
- Restaurant Tim Raue, Berlin
- Hof Van Cleve, Kruishoutem
- Le Clarence, Paris
- St. Hubertus, San Cassiano
- Florilège, Tokyo
- Arpège, Paris
- Mayta, Lima
- Atomix, New York
- Hiša Franko, Kobarid
- The Clove Club, London
- Odette, Singapore
- Fyn, Cape Town
- Jordnær, Copenhagen
- Sorn, Bangkok
- Schloss Schauenstein, Fürstenau
- La Cime, Osaka
- Quique Dacosta, Denia
- Boragó, Santiago
- Le Bernardin, New York
- Narisawa, Tokyo
- Belcanto, Lisbon
- Oteque, Rio de Janeiro
- Leo, Bogotá
- Ikoyi, London
- SingleThread, Healdsburg
Laurel Waldron, Finn Partners
firstname.lastname@example.org; +44(0)7725 259 929
Media centre access:
Follow 50 Best
- Follow on Instagram: @TheWorlds50Best #Worlds50Best
- Follow on Twitter: @TheWorlds50Best
- Like on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/50BestRestaurants
- Subscribe to the YouTube channel: 50 Best Restaurants TV
- Visit the website: https://www.theworlds50best.com/
About The World’s 50 Best Restaurants
Since 2002, The World’s 50 Best Restaurants has reflected the diversity of the world’s culinary landscape. The annual list of the world’s most prestigious restaurants provides a snapshot of some of the best destinations for unique culinary experiences, in addition to being a barometer for and a pioneer of global gastronomic trends. The 50 Best family also includes Latin America’s 50 Best Restaurants, Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants, Middle East & North Africa’s 50 Best Restaurants, The World’s 50 Best Bars, Asia’s 50 Best Bars, North America’s 50 Best Bars and the #50BestTalks and 50 Best Explores series, all of which are owned and run by William Reed. 50 Best aims to bring together communities across the hospitality sector to foster collaboration, inclusivity, diversity and discovery and help drive positive change.
About the main sponsor: S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna
S.Pellegrino and Acqua Panna are the main partners of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants and 50 Best for Recovery. S.Pellegrino and Acqua Panna are the leading natural mineral waters in the fine dining world. Together they interpret Italian style worldwide as a synthesis of excellence, pleasure and well-being.
- Estrella Damm – Official Beer Partner; sponsor of the Estrella Damm Chefs’ Choice Award
- American Express Resy – Official Credit Card & Booking Platform Partner (Resy); sponsor of the American Express One To Watch Award
- Gin Mare – Official Gin Partner; sponsor of the Gin Mare Art of Hospitality Award
- Flor de Caña – Official Rum Partner; sponsor of the Flor de Caña Sustainable Restaurant Award
- Sosa – Official Ingredients Partner; sponsor of The World’s Best Pastry Chef Award
- Beronia – Official Wine Partner; sponsor of the Beronia World’s Best Sommelier Award
- Nude Glass – Official Glassware Partner; sponsor of The World’s Best Female Chef Award
- Villa Massa – Official Limoncello and Amaretto Partner; sponsor of the Villa Massa Highest Climber Award
- Illycaffè – Official Coffee Partner
- Dassai Sake – Official Sake Partner
- Nyetimber – Official Sparkling Wine Partner
- Cinco Jotas – Official Ibérico Ham Partner
- The London Essence – Official Mixers Partner
- Choco – Official Ordering Partner
- Aspire Lifestyles – Official Concierge Partner; sponsor of the Highest New Entry Award
- Jaén Selección – Official Olive Oil Partner
- Culinary Roots / Castilla-La Mancha – Official Destination Promotion Partner
- Sea Containers – Official Hotel Partner
- One Hundred Shoreditch – Official Hotel Partner
Go to Source
Author: RestaurantNews.com Geranium in Copenhagen Is Named No.1 as the List of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants Is Revealed for 2022 RestaurantNews.com https://www.restaurantnews.com/geranium-in-copenhagen-is-named-no-1-as-the-list-of-the-worlds-50-best-restaurants-is-revealed-for-2022-071822/ https://www.restaurantnews.com/feed/ July 19, 2022 RestaurantNews.com 12:01 pm